During our last few days in the Williamsburg area staying with our daughter and family, we all decided to walk down this slightly paved and cobblestone uneven street called Duke of Gloucester St (main st.) . and look at all the beautiful old architecture along a 5-7 block area. This day had no rain like the day before so maybe there would be some sunshine somewhere along the way. It was getting late in the morning and we knew where to get a little lunch and a homemade beer from the local brewery (Alwerks) that has some of their brews (since I am a homebrewer myself, I am always interested in the styles and different tastes that other regions of the country serve) at the fine tavern on the corner call the The Dog Street Pub (Dog meaning =Duke of Gloucester) so we made our way in and filled up on expensive grub and ale, after all we were in the heart of Colonial Williamsburg and around that time, these taverns were where George Washington and the boys did business and played hard……
After that , a much needed walk was in order so off we went to see more of the realistic town and how it must have been in those times…….
A couple tidying up their garden for the winter that would be coming along any day now, even a nice woodburning fireplace that needed some more wood felt good to standby for a few minutes…….
Much history was founded right here in Williamsburg and along the James River as the English settlers arrived in Jamestown, along the James River (the original capitol of Va.) in 1607…..Colonial leaders petitioned for the capitol of Va. to be moved about 5-10 miles to higher ground at Middle Plantation which was then renamed Williamsburg , in 1699, in honor of Englands King William III who was reigning at the time…..
Also as Williamsburg began to grow, The College of William and Mary (1693) flourished educating some of our past Presidents, such as Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, and John Tyler…..The Continental Army was formed and assembled by George Washington in Williamsburg in 1781 as nearby Yorktown would be under siege soon and there they would win American Independence!! Yae!!! the capitol of Va. was there until 1780, when it was moved once more up the James River, to Richmond , where it is today……
Now , Williamsburg is more of a quiet, sometimes sleepy town with many college students and gobs of tourists that come when there is a celebration, to ponder what it was really like, day to day in those times of early independence , to fight for the freedom that we all have today and win with thousands of lives lost and run a government that would eventually be the ultimate nation in the world that gives every citizen their right to be exactly who they want to be, every day, every year………WHAT A COUNTRY!!
Our last Sunday there was a celebration in the evening called The Illumination…….It is a special night set aside to light up the Christmas Tree on main street (Duke of Gloucester St.) with a parade and of course, the Drum and Fife Corp. A little history about them is that while drilling, they were trained to give preparatory signals for precise movements while marching etc, also hours and alarms. There were about 2 fifes and 2 drummers assigned to about 100 men or so. They also had the job of signaling when to get up, when to go to bed, when to eat etc. Most were between 10 to 18 years of age.
Lastly on this evening, grand fireworks in three places along the route of main st. You could turn around and see it over there or over there, awesome!
Extra pics of some of the interesting sites around this area
We had a fantastic vacation and look forward to doing it again. Williamsburg was definitely a great place for history and fun!
Happy Trails and Merry Christmas to all !! MJ